AngloGold Suspends Operations Because Of Sit-ins
JOHANNESBURG (AP) â¿¿ AngloGold Ashanti said Friday it suspended operations at two mines in South Africa after hundreds of workers staged a sit-in over pay.
Workers at the TauTona and Mponeng mines northwest of Johannesburg have since held talks with management and work is expected to resume Sunday night, the company said. Two days of work were lost at the Mponeng mine because of damage underground, and one day at TauTona because of the sit-in, it said.
AngloGold Ashanti is the world's third largest gold bullion producer and said that the people staging the sit-ins represent between 2 and 5 percent of the workforces at each mine.The company's South African operations accounted for approximately 32 percent of total group production during the first half of the year, it said. Prior to this dismissal process, approximately 35,000 people were employed across AngloGold Ashanti's South African operations. Tens of thousands of miners have staged wildcat strikes in South Africa over the past three months, affecting gold and platinum output. Violent strikes at Lonmin's Marikana platinum mine saw more than 40 killed, and the company says the nearly six weeks of strikes affected the company's production and led to its decision to restructure. Lonmin reached a deal with its miners that awarded them pay increases of up to 22 percent. The Lonmin strikes and negotiations spread to other mines in the past few months. Anglo American Platinum miners in Rustenburg have been on strike for seven weeks, and 12,000 workers who were fired and then reinstated still have not returned to work. It said its offer for the miners to return to work is still open. "The company currently does not have sufficient staff for safe operations in the affected areas and continues to carry out essential services only," it said in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV