The Associated Press
Newmont Mining Corp.'s shares fell in trading Friday after the largest gold producer in the U.S. reported disappointing third-quarter results.
THE SPARK: Newmont said Tuesday that its net income dropped 26 percent to $367 million, or 74 cents per share. That's down from $493 million, or 98 cents per share, in the third quarter last year. It earned 86 cents per share on an adjusted basis, missing the 88 cents per share that analyst polled by FactSet had forecast.
Its revenue fell nearly 10 percent to $2.48 billion; analysts were expecting $2.52 billion.Newmont also said it expects its production for the full year will be at the low end of its forecasts for both gold and copper. THE BIG PICTURE: Newmont said that its gold and copper production and sales were down by comparison the prior year. It also said its costs for producing each ounce of gold and copper were higher than last year. The company, based in Denver, has mines around the world. Newmont said that stronger production from mines in Nevada and Peru offset weaker production from its Asia Pacific region. SHARE ACTION: Newmont's shares fell $3.44, more than 6 percent, to $49.79 by early afternoon. Its stock is at the low end of its 52-week trading range of $42.95 to $72.42.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV