Dollar Rises On Strong US Jobs Data
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ The dollar jumped to a one-month high against the euro Friday after U.S. employers added more jobs last month than economists had expected.
The Labor Department said U.S. employers added 171,000 jobs in October, and hiring was stronger in August and September than first thought. Economists expected a gain of 121,000 jobs, according to FactSet. The unemployment rate edged up to 7.9 percent from 7.8 percent as more people started looking for jobs.
The euro fell to $1.2829 in late trading Friday from $1.2939 late Thursday. The euro fell as low as $1.282 Friday, the lowest it has been since Oct. 1.
The British pound fell to $1.6021 from $1.6125.The dollar rose to 80.42 Japanese yen from 80.18 Japanese yen and to 0.9411 Swiss franc from 0.9321 Swiss franc. Canada also released a jobs report Friday, and said that employees in the country added just 1,800 jobs last month. The dollar fell to 99.56 Canadian cents from 99.62 Canadian cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV