Another stock that's just starting to flirt with a major breakout trade is Bankrate (RATE), which owns and operates Internet-based consumer banking and personal finance network. This stock has been pummeled by sellers so far in 2012, with shares off by close to 50%.
If you take a look at the chart for Bankrate, you'll notice that this stock recently gapped down huge from over $14 to a recent low of $10.27 with massive volume. Following that sharp move lower, shares of RATE have started to rebound and find buyers at around $10.50 a share. That rebound is coming off of extremely oversold levels since its current relative strength index (RSI) reading is 23.84. The recent action in Bankrate is quickly pushing the stock within range of breaking out above its gap down day high.
Market players should now look for long-biased trades once it manages to break out above its gap down day high of $11.26 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above $11.26 with volume that hits close to or above its three-month average action of 658,913 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then RATE will set up to re-fill some of its gap down zone that started near $14 a share. At last check, Bankrate has hit an intraday high of $11.49 but volume is light with around 106,000 shares traded.One can look to buy RATE off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some near-term support at $10.56 a share. One could also buy off strength once RATE triggers that breakout above $11.26 to $11.49 and then simply use a stop just below $11 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV