Mood Of The Nation: Some Optimism Amid Struggles
His wife is trying to turn the cases into a business. He says she's sold hundreds of them at trade shows and on eBay. And Arvin is seeking a patent for his design.
"Maybe this will take off," he says. "Who knows? But you just have to keep trying and not give up. That's the American way."
â¿¿ Associated Press Writer Mitch Weiss
__WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) â¿¿ The low point for Brookside Flooring came two or three years ago. The housing bubble had wrecked South Florida's home market. Construction barely existed. Companies were closing or shedding staff. Jay Baker's company managed to survive. But it suffered. Now? Business has rebounded in the past few months. Sales are still down by about a third since 2008. But when you've withstood a savage housing bust, any sustained improvement feels gratifying. "Slowly but surely, it's coming back," Baker says. "I really can't pinpoint it. All I know is that it's getting better, and it makes me happy." Baker sees the overall economy strengthening, too â¿¿ and for that, he credits President Barack Obama for pushing his economic agenda against sharp Republican resistance. U.S. unemployment has dipped, Baker notes. Stock prices have surged more than 13 percent this year. Consumers are more confident and spending a bit more. When more people are working, Baker says, everyone who depends on a robust economy gains. People aren't just more apt to replace the flooring in their home or business, he says. Restaurants and clothing stores benefit. So do auto dealers, contractors and furniture shops. "In a small town, when a large business goes out of business, the people are out of a job, but all of the small businesses are affected, too," he says. "When business is better, everybody's affected." Which helps explain why, despite his setbacks, Baker remains an optimist.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV