Sandy Will Spur Timber Stocks
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Hurricane Sandy has been devastating for the Northeast; nevertheless, it could be good news for timber stocks as the region rebuilds, says Michael Underhill, portfolio manager for recently launched Capital Innovations Global Infrastructure, Timber and Agribusiness Fund (INNAX).
Welcome to TheStreet's Fund Manager Five Spot, where top fund managers give their best stock picks and views on the market in a five-question format.
What is your view of the economy and how will Hurricane Sandy affect it?
Underhill: We are in a high-volatility, low GDP growth environment so we believe that investing in food, forests and fuel will enable us to outperform. We have been focused in timber and forestry in holdings like Plum Creek Timber (PCL) and diversified wood products exposure through Louisiana Pacific (LPX). With the housing recovery and reduced supply of lumber and timber, there has been significant leverage to the upside in these positions. Confidence among U.S. homebuilders climbed in September to the highest level in more than six years, adding to signs of progress in residential construction.Finally, the economic impact of Hurricane Sandy reflects an initial $10-20 billion in total property losses, though this figure could end up being significantly higher. The "re-roofing" effect will keep lumber markets very tight well into the spring. A lot of the roofs were not just on your average priced house. What is your top stock pick? Underhill: I would say our favorite is Louisiana Pacific. Pine lumber prices in the U.S. South continued to rise in September and are now 35% higher than year earlier levels. LPX will benefit from higher lumber, OSB
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV