When it comes to digesting entertainment in the digital age, it's abundantly clear that the Internet is the delivery medium of the future. In delaying progress towards that future to protect their financial interests, media conglomerates and telecommunications giants are doing their jobs (and I sympathize with them for that), but they're also delaying the inevitable.
Netflix, meanwhile, is doing its part to speed things along, and consumers know that instinctually. That's why they still subscribe to Netflix even after the media industry yanked all the good content from its streaming service, having realized they were tempting too many people to drop pay-TV altogether and use Netflix to move to an online-video-only home entertainment set-up.
An acquisition of Netflix by a tech company like Google (GOOG), Apple (AAPL), Amazon (AMZN) or Microsoft (MSFT) could give it much-needed financial heft to push its agenda. Perhaps Hastings could stomach that outcome and cash in his chips, but a sale to a media company or a telecommunications or cable company would be surrender.
For Icahn and many Netflix shareholders, though, only the price tag matters, and that's why this could get real interesting real fast.At the time of publication the author had positions in GOOG, AAPL and MSFT. Follow @NatWorden This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV