Drive Less, Save More
Pay-as-you-drive may be the future of car insurance and a way to save money -- that's clearly what insurers are suggesting -- but is it the best coverage for you?
If you're like most drivers, maybe not.
If you drive a lot, at the wrong times of day, or are reluctant to give up the left lane, there are many other car insurance discounts available. Not all low-mileage discounts require a pay-as-you-drive (PAYD) device, for example.
But few offer the savings potential that maxed-out PAYD plans do.The gizmos used by car insurance companies promise discounts of as much as 50 percent. They come in two types:
- An insurer-supplied device that plugs into your car's onboard diagnostics (OBDII) port and typically reports your car's mileage, speed, braking events and hours of operation.
- A car manufacturer-designed telematics system, such as OnStar or Sync, that typically reports only mileage.
When your insurer rides shotgunWith all pay-as-you-drive (PAYD) plans, the easiest path to a huge discount is very low annual mileage. In some cases, the best rates go to customers who drive less than 2,500 miles a year. But some programs may require that you address how you drive, not just how much. Even Progressive, a pioneer in the PAYD market with its much-hyped Snapshot device, says people who drive aggressively (and a lot) may want to pass. Many customers of PAYD programs say braking measurements are the biggest surprise. William Parsons, a New Yorker who ended up with about a 15 percent discount after signing up for Snapshot, wonders if his premium cut would have been bigger if he hadn't been penalized for hard braking during his test period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV