But no matter in what form they appear, Cramer said talk about future catalysts or dividend boosts will always give investors reasons to buy when the market dips.
Cramer's final factors to consider are geopolitical risk and a stock's chart.
Geopolitical risk isn't just about unrest in the Middle East. There are now dozens of factors that can affect a company's earnings. In 2011, for example, the financial crisis in Europe held bank stocks across the globe hostage for months on end, he explained.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV