If you trust your data too much, and don't look any further, you might also believe that Sycamore Networks (SCMR) is back in net/net land again. But that company paid a huge $10 special dividend after the end of the latest quarter in early October and announced last week that it will pay another $2 special dividend, and then sell off its remaining assets. Bye-bye Sycamore.
The other net/nets with market caps in excess of $100 million are very familiar, at least in net/net land. They include FormFactor (FORM), Imation (IMN), Targacept (TRGT), Westell Technologies (WSTL) and Trans World Entertainment (TWMC). Targacept and Westell have not yet reported their latest quarterly results, so the data is as of June 30.
That leaves RadioShack (RSH) , the most high-profile net/net, which is all but hated by the Street, and presumed to be a "value trap" of the highest magnitude. I'm probably among the very few that still believes the company is worth more than its current price; but there is great risk here, and it's not for the faint of heart.
Overall, the dark world of net/nets is downright boring at this point.At the time of publication the author was long IM, RSH. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV