New Facebook Presidential Debate Data Shows 'Winning' Means Going Beyond Engagement
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- With the United States Presidential election just less than a week away, new data and an infographic from Socialbakers, the leading social media analytics experts, show that while Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan may have led the race for fan engagement in the much-hyped "war of words"—the recent series of four Presidential debates—the Obama-Biden team still commands a much larger Facebook fan base and broader reach.
In fact, even though President Barack Obama took the early lead in activity with nearly 1.43 million "Likes" and 1.64 million interactions for his three Facebook posts leading up to the Oct. 3 Domestic Policy debate at the University of Denver, the Romney-Ryan ticket dominated the engagement leader board throughout the course of the next three debates.
However, while fan engagement is often touted as the master metric for gauging social media success, when it comes to politics, engagement can actually work against a candidate.
"For brands, negative comments are an opportunity to address issues early and quell any rising tide against their product or service," said Socialbakers CEO Jan Rezab. "But, this isn't necessarily the case for politicians whose 'non-fan' contingent will often post negative comments, tirades and off-topic diatribes that can dilute the value of their engagement rate."This factor turns Socialbakers analysts' attention toward "Likes" and shares to get a better handle on exactly how well candidates are getting the message out to their constituents on the world's largest social network. Among other highlights, Socialbakers' analysis and infographics reveal:
- Reach can trump engagement. The Romney/Ryan team's engagement rate was consistently higher than Obama/Biden, as much as four times higher during the Oct. 16 Town Hall Meeting in Denver. However, Obama's overwhelmingly larger reach earns him far more "Likes" and shares. For example, Obama's most-shared post tallied over 168 thousand shares, almost twice that of Romney's most-shared post.
- Fan count isn't the only factor that matters, but it certainly helps. During the Vice-Presidential debate on Oct. 11, Vice-President Joe Biden managed to post a higher Engagement Rate than Ryan—30 percent compared to Ryan's 15. However, with a fan count more than 10 times that of Biden, Ryan easily racked up 10 times more "Likes" and nearly five times more interactions across his 4.2 million fan base.
- Post frequency is a strong driver of fan engagement. On Oct. 16, the Romney/Ryan machine published 13 posts to Obama's three and Biden's zero. As a result, Romney and Ryan maintained high engagement of 12 and 18 percent respectively, compared to just 3 percent for Obama that day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV