The bank delivered a sound beat with core earnings coming 19% above KBW's estimates and 10% higher than the Street. Analyst David Konrad was impressed that with the bank's strong performance on the topline.
While the bulk of the outperformance came from strong fixed income trading revenues, which might be unsustainable, the analysts noted that the bank posted "strong balance sheet growth, modestly higher NIM[net interest margin] and better-than-expected lending fees."
The company was also making long-term progress, as it wound down its bad bank, Citi Holdings, and improved its Basel III Capital ratio to 8.6% from 7.9% in the last quarter.Of course, the award is not without a sense of irony. A day after Citigroup declared strong quarterly results, bank CEO Vikram Pandit surprised the industry in a sudden resignation. In the days that followed, media reports suggested that the CEO had been ousted by Chairman Michael O'Neill in a dramatic coup. Still, analysts welcomed the new management change. KBW analysts expect the new CEO Michael Corbat, to be "more focused on selling underperforming assets and distributing capital to shareholders." Even more ironic, KBW said Wells Fargo (WFC) which is considered a high quality bank, had the "worst quarter", due to decline in net interest margins. The analysts also awarded JPMorgan Chase (JPM) as the best investment bank for the third quarter, while Goldman Sachs (GS) was awarded the best trader. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV