The company’s average sales price per barrel of crude oil and natural gas liquids was $91 in the third quarter 2012, down from $97 a year ago. The average sales price of natural gas was $2.63 per thousand cubic feet, compared with $4.14 in last year’s third quarter.
Net oil-equivalent production of 637,000 barrels per day in the third quarter 2012 was down 25,000 barrels per day, or 4 percent, from a year earlier. The decrease in production was associated with normal field declines, an absence of volumes associated with Cook Inlet, Alaska, assets sold in 2011, and the effects of storm-related shut-ins in 2012 in the Gulf of Mexico. Partially offsetting this decrease was further ramp-up at the Perdido and Caesar/Tonga projects in the Gulf of Mexico. The net liquids component of oil-equivalent production decreased 3 percent in the 2012 third quarter to 440,000 barrels per day, while net natural gas production decreased 6 percent to 1.18 billion cubic feet per day.
| Three Months
Ended Sept. 30
| Nine Months
Ended Sept. 30
|Millions of Dollars||2012||2011||2012||2011|
|*Includes foreign currency effects||$||(252||)||$||304||$||(241||)||$||214|
International upstream earnings of $4.02 billion decreased $676 million from the third quarter 2011. The decline between quarters was primarily due to lower volumes and realizations for crude oil, as well as higher exploration expense. Mostly offsetting these effects was a nearly $600 million gain on sale of an equity interest in the Wheatstone Project, and lower tax items. Foreign currency effects decreased earnings by $252 million, compared with an increase of $304 million a year earlier.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV