Conversely, an investor who does want to make market cap decisions would likely want to avoid ITOT because of the duplication that would come from owning all four domestic funds.
Within the foreign funds IXUS is a combination of emerging market stocks found in IEMG and developed market stocks that are found in IEFA plus Canada which is not included in IEFA. And with fixed income the segments targeted by ISTB and ILTB are generally duplicated in AGG.
Going with a core of broad based funds is a valid strategy but duplicating exposures is unproductive and may create a false sense of diversification.
At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV