Stock Futures Mixed as U.S. Adds Jobs
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures were little changed Friday morning after the U.S. added jobs in October. It's the last jobs report ahead of Tuesday's presidential election.
Nonfarm payrolls in October rose 171,000 as the unemployment rate ticked slightly higher to 7.9%, from the prior month's 7.8%. The unemployment rate was in line with expectations, according to Briefing.com, but above the forecast for 125,000 new jobs.
Investors also anticipated September factory orders to rise some 4.5%, which would be a noted turnaround from the 5.2% August decline that resulted from a large drop in aircraft orders.Chevron (CVX) posted third-quarter earnings Friday of $2.69 a share; analysts expected a profit of $2.83 a share. The FTSE 100 in London was dipping 0.14%, while the DAX in Germany was adding 0.14%. Asian markets posted gains Friday after the Bank of Japan left interest rates unchanged at zero to 0.1%. Japan's Nikkei average rose 1.17% overnight to close at 9051. Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 1.33% to 22,111. Gold for December delivery was dropping $13.60 to $1,701.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while December crude oil contracts were shedding 68 cents to $86.41 a barrel. The benchmark 10-year Treasury was sinking 11/32, boosting the yield to 1.767%. The dollar was up 0.32%, according to the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV