About Anemia Due to CKD in Adult Patients on Dialysis
Anemia is a common complication in CKD patients on dialysis because their kidneys are unable to produce erythropoietin, the hormone responsible for red blood cell production. Since adequate iron levels are needed for the production of red blood cells and hemoglobin, treatment guidelines recommend iron is used in conjunction with erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) in treating anemia in dialysis patients.
As of 2010, the United States Renal Data System noted there were 410,000 people in the United States who were on dialysis.
About OMONTYSOMONTYS ® (peginesatide) Injection is a synthetic, pegylated, peptide-based ESA, and its building blocks (amino acids) are arranged in a different order than erythropoietin (i.e., it has no sequence homology to endogenous erythropoietin). On March 27, 2012, the FDA approved OMONTYS (dosed once-monthly) for the treatment of anemia due to CKD in adult patients on dialysis. Indication and Limitations of Use OMONTYS® (peginesatide) Injection is indicated for the treatment of anemia due to chronic kidney disease (CKD) in adult patients on dialysis. OMONTYS is not indicated and is not recommended for use in patients with CKD not on dialysis, in patients receiving treatment for cancer and whose anemia is not due to CKD, or as a substitute for red blood cell (RBC) transfusions in patients who require immediate correction of anemia. OMONTYS has not been shown to improve symptoms, physical functioning, or health-related quality of life. IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION WARNING: ESAs INCREASE THE RISK OF DEATH, MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION, STROKE, VENOUS THROMBOEMBOLISM, THROMBOSIS OF VASCULAR ACCESS AND TUMOR PROGRESSION OR RECURRENCE. Chronic Kidney Disease:
- In controlled trials, patients experienced greater risks for death, serious adverse cardiovascular reactions, and stroke when administered erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) to target a hemoglobin level of greater than 11 g/dL.
- No trial has identified a hemoglobin target level, ESA dose, or dosing strategy that does not increase these risks.
- Use the lowest OMONTYS dose sufficient to reduce the need for RBC transfusions.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts