IRVING, Texas (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Fluor Corp. fell in after-hours trading Thursday after the engineering and construction company issued an outlook for 2013 that mostly fell below analysts' expectations.
Fluor warned that the slow global economy had "tempered" its view for next year. In the July-September quarter, $2 billion worth of mining projects were canceled.
For that period, net income was $144.6 million, or 86 cents per share, up 7 percent from $135.4 million, or 78 cents per share, a year ago. Revenue rose 18 percent to $7.14 billion from $6.04 billion.
Analysts, on average, predicted earnings of 95 cents per share on revenue of $7.17 billion, according to FactSet.The Irving, Texas, company said revenue increased in its oil and gas, industrial and infrastructure, global services and power segments. Revenue fell in the government group in part because of lower-than-expected award fees from a contract in Afghanistan. For the full year, Fluor expects profit of $3.60 to $3.80 per share, mostly below analysts' prediction of $3.77 per share. And for 2013, Fluor predicts earnings of $3.85 to $4.35 per share. Analysts have forecast $4.33 per share. "Although we see growth in 2013, the anticipated resurgence in oil and gas is not expected to fully benefit financial results until 2014," CEO David Seaton said. Fluor shares fell $1.82, or 3.2 percent, to $55.84 in after-market trading. The stock closed up $1.81 to $57.66 in regular trading, before results were released.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV