Parkinson's Disease Foundation Honors Care Partners Making A Difference During National Family Caregivers Month
Offers Free Online Seminar for Care Partners to People with Parkinson's on Tuesday, November 20
NEW YORK, Nov. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Parkinson's Disease Foundation (PDF) honors and offers support to the care partners who are making a difference in the lives of people with Parkinson's disease during November, National Family Caregivers Month, at www.pdf.org/caregivers_month.
While PDF estimates that there are nearly one million Americans living with Parkinson's disease, "the truth is that there are millions more because the whole family also lives with the disease," said PDF Research Advocate Beth Ann Chard, whose husband and fellow advocate Gary was diagnosed four years ago.Care partners and family members of people with Parkinson's disease often take on tasks such as coordinating doctor visits, managing financial matters, helping with personal needs, such as dressing, and working to make the home safe for their partners. Many care partners and families also get involved in the fight against the disease. In fact, more than 50 care partners and loved ones currently work with PDF – advising its work through the People with Parkinson's Advisory Council, speeding new treatments through the Parkinson's Advocates in Research (PAIR) program, or fundraising for research through the PDF Champions program. According to Julie H. Carter, R.N., M.S., A.N.P., of Oregon Health & Science University, "I encourage the involvement of the entire family, not only because it can advance the cause, but also because when one person has Parkinson's disease, the whole family is affected by Parkinson's disease." She added, "Caregiving may have rewards, but it can also take a toll on every member of the family." With this in mind, PDF and Ms. Carter are partnering on the organization's annual free online seminar for care partners on Tuesday, November 20, focusing on ways care partners can recognize and reduce stress. Here's how to take advantage of this seminar, and make a difference in your own life or that of a care partner:
- Join the annual online/telephone seminar in recognition of National Family Caregivers Month, on Tuesday, November 20 at 1:00 PM ET by visiting www.pdf.org/parkinson_briefing_caregiver12. The seminar, "Caregiving and Parkinson's," led by Ms. Carter, will be available live and as a recording on PDF's website. Support groups are encouraged to watch together and can contact PDF for technical assistance. Free CEUs are available for some health care professionals via PDF's sponsorship of the American Society on Aging. Additional promotion is provided through PDF's media partner, National Family Caregivers Association.
- Call PDF's National HelpLine to speak live with an Information Specialist who can provide a sympathetic ear, answer questions about Parkinson's, and refer you to local Parkinson's specialists, support groups and resources. Callers can also request a free copy of the Parkinson's Disease Resource List, which includes a special section for care partners. The HelpLine is available at (800) 457-6676 from Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM ET – 5:00 PM ET or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get your family involved with the Parkinson's Disease Foundation. Whether you are looking to raise awareness, raise funds or speed treatments, PDF will provide the tools to help you make a difference. For example, to get involved in the PAIR program with Mr. and Mrs. Chard, simply visit www.pdf.org/pair to take our free online course any time of day that is convenient for you.
- Pay tribute to a care partner in your life by sending a free inspirational eCard designed by a member of PDF's Creativity and Parkinson's Project.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV