bebe stores, inc. (NASDAQ:BEBE) today announced unaudited financial results for the first quarter ended September 29, 2012.
Net sales for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 were $117.1 million, decreased 7.3% from $126.3 million reported for the first quarter a year ago. As previously reported, comparable store sales for the quarter ended September 29, 2012 decreased 8.7% compared to an increase of 7.0% in the comparable period of the prior year driven by the deceleration in store traffic.
Gross margin as a percentage of net sales decreased to 36.1% in the first quarter of fiscal 2013, compared to 40.0% in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. The decrease in gross margin as a percentage of net sales was primarily due to increase in markdowns coupled with unfavorable occupancy leverage.
SG&A expenses were $46.2 million, or 39.4% of net sales, compared to $47.0 million, or 37.3% of net sales for the same period in the prior year. The dollar decrease in SG&A expenses was primarily driven by decrease in compensation expense.The effective tax rate for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 was 30.0% compared to 37.2% in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. The lower tax benefit in the current first quarter compared to the tax expense in the prior year period was due to various discrete items including a valuation allowance against a foreign NOL incurred during the quarter. Net loss for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 was $2.6 million or $0.03 per share on 84 million shares outstanding compared to net income of $2.4 million or $0.03 per diluted share on 84 million shares outstanding for the same period of the prior year. During the quarter ended September 29, 2012, the Company opened 5 2b stores and closed 7 bebe stores. For the current quarter the Company’s capital expenditures were approximately $8.2 million and depreciation expense was approximately $5.1 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV