WMS Industries Inc. (NYSE:WMS) today reported revenue of $159.1 million and net income of $9.3 million, or $0.17 per diluted share, for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to revenue of $155.6 million and net income of $3.8 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, in the September 2011 quarter. Net income and diluted earnings per share in the September 2012 quarter reflect higher year-over-year research and development expenses to support the growth of interactive products and services as well as for the ongoing development and commercialization of a greater number of new participation and for-sale games and cabinets. Reflecting these factors, research and development expenses increased $3.2 million year over year and $3.3 million on a quarterly sequential basis. Diluted earnings per share in the September 2011 quarter included impairment and restructuring charges of $0.12 per share, primarily for facilities closure and separation-related costs, and $0.05 per share to write down receivables from certain customers in Mexico.
- Gaming operations revenues increased both year over year and on a quarterly sequential basis primarily reflecting growth in revenue from interactive products and services and the third consecutive quarter of growth in the installed participation base to 9,632 gaming machines, which led to the first installed base increase over the prior-year quarter in the last eight quarters, partially offset by lower gaming operations daily revenue per unit.
- Product sales revenues rose modestly reflecting sales of 693 new video lottery terminals (VLTs) for the Canada and Illinois VLT markets. Product sales revenues also include higher other product sales revenues including one-time software revenues of a VLT game set and higher revenues from used gaming machine sales, which more than offset the anticipated lower industry-wide shipments for new casino openings and expansions and a lower average selling price reflecting the higher mix of lower-priced VLTs and the competitive marketplace.
- Gross profit increased $4.1 million reflecting a 120 basis point improvement in gross profit margin due to higher product sales margin and a greater mix of gaming operations revenues. Product sales gross margin was 53.1%, a fiscal first quarter record, reflecting the mix of business, ongoing benefits from the Company’s continuous improvement and supply chain management initiatives, and the VLT game set software, which more than offset the impact of a lower average selling price and the seasonally lower unit volumes for the September quarter that typically impacts margin.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased 24% to $52.9 million as EBITDA margin improved 570 basis points (Adjusted EBITDA is a non-GAAP financial metric, and a reconciliation to net income is provided in a supplemental schedule near the end of this release.)
- Cash flow provided by operating activities for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, was $21.0 million, a year-over-year increase of 60% or $7.9 million.
- WMS was selected by the Manitoba Lotteries Corporation to join two incumbent suppliers to replace existing VLT units throughout the province. WMS was previously selected by the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commission to participate in their VLT replacement initiative.
- During the quarter, Jackpot Party® Social Casino was launched and became one of the five largest and most popular social casinos on Facebook®, as measured by the number of daily active users and monetization rates.
- In September, the Company’s first-of-its-kind interactive, casino-branded Play4Fun™ Network went live at a tribal casino in Iowa, enabling the casino’s players to access multiple play-for-fun slot and casual games online, all under the casino’s own brand association.
- At the Global Gaming Exposition ( G2E®), WMS showcased more than 100 new games, including 22 new games leveraging the advanced capabilities of the next-generation CPU-NXT®3 operating platform and 87 new games for WMS’ successful CPU-NXT2 platform. Also on display were five distinct cabinet configurations, including the revolutionary new Gamefield xD™ cabinet for participation games, the all-new My Poker® video poker dedicated gaming machines and the next-generation Blade™ cabinet, WMS’ latest upright cabinet, as well as the ever-popular Bluebird®2e and Bluebird xD™ cabinets. WMS also featured the Williams Interactive™ branded products and services for online wagering and play-for-fun social, casual and mobile gaming opportunities.
“WMS’ progress with the commercialization of new innovative game content and products is evident in both the year-over-year growth of domestic replacement units shipped and solid demand in the Canadian and Illinois VLT markets,” said Brian R. Gamache, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Following a period of transition and re-focus on the development of products that address customers’ near-term needs, our newest for-sale and participation games continue to re-establish WMS’ excellence in the creation of differentiated content and games that deliver value to our customers. Over the next three quarters, we will begin to commercialize our latest games and platforms which were introduced to broad acclaim at the recent Global Gaming Expo. We believe these products are among the most exciting new games and cabinets we have brought to market and expect them to provide casino operators with new must-have products for their players.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV