When SiriusXM shares fell below $2 earlier in 2012, analysts highlighted changes in the company's relationship with Liberty Media and a recovery in its earnings, balance sheet and cash flow as reasons to stick with the stock.
Three years after Liberty Media caught the market bottom with a 40% stake in SiriusXM, investors and analysts entered 2012 with the prospect that the easy money had been made on the company. New analysis indicates there's still reason to remain optimistic.
Liberty Media gained its SiriusXM stake as a result of a $530 million loan it provided the satellite radio company in 2009. A standstill agreement that prevented Liberty Media from increasing its SiriusXM stake for three years expired in early 2012. In March, a petition with the Federal Communications Commission paved the way for Liberty Media to build its stake in SiriusXM towards control, which it's done in recent stock purchases.Overall, the company has 3.83 billion shares, meaning that its Thursday afternoon share price of $2.90 still gives SiriusXM a market cap of over $11 billion. Wat Interested in more on Sirius? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. Follow @agara2004 -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV