NOW Opposes Proposition 33
By Patty Bellasalma, President, National Organization for Women (NOW) California
SACRAMENTO, Calif., Nov. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Women are busy with their families and their jobs so we don't always feel like we have the time to get engaged in politics or even take the time to vote. History has proven that when we don't show up and vote, we are negatively impacted. This is why we need to vote No on Proposition 33, which would raise auto insurance rates on good drivers.
Because context is everything, we analyze not just the proposition itself. We examine who the author and funders are, and who stands to benefit.
Mercury Insurance's billionaire Chairman George Joseph has spent tens of millions of his company's funds over the past decade attempting to change California's insurance code. He is personally funding Prop 33 to the tune of $16.4 million so his company will benefit.In California, insurance rates are based on a driver's risk of having an accident. Proposition 33 was written to allow insurers to circumvent current regulations and tack a new surcharge onto good drivers if they didn't have car insurance for more than 90 days at any time in the last five years. Even a perfect driving record wouldn't protect you from rate increases. In states where the Prop 33 type of surcharge is legal, Mercury adds surcharges of 50% or more for a break in coverage. These are difficult times for millions of Californian women and men. If you are unemployed, temporarily disabled, or going to college, it might make sense to save some money by suspending your insurance while you are not driving. But when you get back behind the wheel you would pay a penalty if Proposition 33 becomes the law.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV