A final under-$10 name that's trading within range of triggering a major breakout trade is Education Management (EDMC). This company is a provider of post-secondary education in North America. It offers academic programs to its students through campus-based and online instruction, or through a combination of both. This stock has been hit hard by the sellers so far in 2012, with shares down by a whopping 88%.
If you take a look at the chart for Education Management, you'll see that this stock has been trending sideways for the past two months, with shares moving between $2.88 on the downside and $4.04 on the upside. Just today, shares of EDMC have started to flirt with its 50-day at $3.35 a share, and it's quickly moving within range of triggering a major breakout trade. That breakout will hit once EDMC trends topside of its recent range with decent volume.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in EDMC once it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $3.70 to $4.04 a share, and then once it takes out $4.28 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits close to or above its three-month average action of 185,692 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then EDMC could easily hit $5 to $5.50 a share, or possibly even higher towards $6 a share.One could look to buy EDMC off weakness to anticipate that breakout, and simply use a stop that sits just below some previous support levels at $3.02 to $2.95 a share. One could also buy off strength once EDMC clears $3.70 to $4.28 a share with high volume, and then simply use a stop just below $3.70 or right around its 50-day at $3.35 a share. To see more hot under-$10 equities, check out the Stocks Under $10 Setting Up to Explode portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Winderemere, Fla.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV