Another under-$10 stock that's setting up to trigger a major breakout trade is Arrowhead Research (ARWR). This is a development stage nanotechnology holding company that forms, acquires, and operates subsidiaries commercializing innovative nanotechnologies. The stock has been hit hard by the sellers so far in 2012, with shares down by over 50%.
If you take a look at the chart for Arrowhead Research, you'll notice that just yesterday this stock exploded higher right off some previous support levels at $2.05 to $2.17 a share with monster upside volume. That move was driven by some positive drug data that showed a 99% target knockdown in monkeys without toxicity. That spike has now pushed ARWR within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.
Market players should now look for long-biased trades in ARWR once it manages to trigger a breakout above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $2.74 to $2.80 a share, and then above $3 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that registers near or above its three-month average action of 52,871 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then ARWR has a chance for an explosive move higher back towards its next major overhead resistance levels at $3.50 to $4 a share, or possibly even $4.20 to $4.50 a share.Traders can look to buy ARWR off any weakness as long as it's trending above yesterday's low of $2.32 a share with strong upside volume flows. You could also buy off strength once ARWR takes out $2.74 to $3 a share with heavy volume, and then simply use a stop that sits just below its 50-day at $2.53 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV