Nov. 1, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- On one recent summer day, Expedia employees from around the world rallied together for the company's inaugural global Day of Caring. For the companywide volunteerism event, employees representing all functions, lines of business, and locations were encouraged to leave the office for the day in order to lend a hand to deserving organizations in their own communities. While company-backed volunteer efforts like Expedia's Day of Caring may not be a new idea in a city like
that is rife with civic-minded corporations, the sheer reach of Expedia's first-ever global volunteer effort made for some pretty staggering results.
In a single day, more than 2,000 Expedia employees – equivalent to one-fifth of the company's global workforce – representing more than 50 offices across 30 different countries volunteered on behalf of charitable organizations in their communities. In all, the company clocked more than 6,300 volunteer hours while serving nearly 100 different organizations. Efforts included environmental clean-ups, food bank sorting, technology-related projects and hosting clothing and food drives to support local community giving banks.
Expedia's Day of Caring initiative is just one example of the expanded global focus on philanthropic efforts from the world's leading online travel company. The company also recently extended its Matching Gifts program – previously only available to employees in the US and
– worldwide. Now, financial donations made to charitable organizations by all full-time and part-time Expedia employees in all parts of the world are eligible to be fully-matched by the company, up to
annually per person. As a company whose employees are passionate about giving back to their communities, Expedia's enhanced global matching gifts program more closely aligns with employees' desires to financially support the causes that are personally important to them.
"No matter where in the world you look – whether it's the US, the UK,
– there are people and organizations in need," said
, Chief Executive Officer, Expedia, Inc. "Fundamentally, as a company, it's our responsibility to support the communities where we live and work. Luckily, our employees' passion extends beyond travel to making meaningful contributions locally and now we offer great ways to help Expedia, Inc. employees turn their passion into action."
For more information on Expedia Cares philanthropy initiatives, or to learn more about the charitable organizations supported by Expedia, Inc., please visit:
About Expedia, Inc.
Expedia, Inc. is the largest online travel company in the world, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes some of the world's leading online travel brands, including:
- Expedia.com®, the world's largest full service online travel agency, with localized sites in 30 countries
- Hotels.com®, the hotel specialist with sites in more than 60 countries
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers opaque deals in nine countries on its eight sites in North America and Europe
- Egencia®, the world's fifth largest corporate travel management company
- eLong™, the second largest online travel company in China
- Venere.com®, the online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of in-market concierge services, activities and experiences in 18 markets worldwide
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
The company delivers consumers value in leisure and business travel, drives incremental demand and direct bookings to travel suppliers, and provides advertisers the opportunity to reach a highly valuable audience of in-market travel consumers through
Expedia Media Solutions
. Expedia also powers bookings for some of the world's leading airlines and hotels, top consumer brands, high traffic websites, and thousands of active affiliates through
Expedia® Affiliate Network
. (NASDAQ: EXPE) For corporate and industry news and views, visit us at
or follow us on Twitter @expediainc.
Expedia and the Airplane logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners. © 2012 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST # 2029030-50
SOURCE Expedia, Inc.