Meantime, consumer confidence improved to 72.2 in October, which was up from 68.4 in September, but was a little softer than the 74 reading analysts expected.
Nonfarm business productivity for the third quarter increased 1.9% as the second-quarter number was revised upward to 2.2%, which was in step with the revision to gross domestic product. Labor costs dipped 0.1%; the consensus was for a 1.2% increase, according to Econoday.
The FTSE 100 in London jumped 1.37%, helped in part by Shell's earnings, while the DAX in Germany closed up 1.03%. Asian markets received a jolt after China's October manufacturing PMI reading reached an eight-month high of 49.5, which was up from a prior month 47.9 and beat the 49.1 consensus among economists polled by Econoday.
Japan's Nikkei average rose 0.21% overnight to close at 8947. Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.83% to 21,821.Gold for December delivery shed $3.60 to settle at $1,715.50 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange, while December crude oil contracts closed up 85 cents to $87.09 a barrel. The benchmark 10-year Treasury dipped 8/32, boosting the yield to 1.725%. The dollar was up 0.10%, according to the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV