TORONTO, Nov. 1, 2012 /CNW/ - Today, the RBC After School Grants Project announced donations totalling $2.7 million to help 105 community-based organizations across Canada deliver after school programs for the 2012-2013 school year. These organizations offer a diverse range of programs, including those for inner-city children and Aboriginal youth, with activities such as computer instruction, sports, literacy tutoring, music and art lessons, nutrition guidance, and homework help.
RBC After School Grants, ranging from $25,000 to $40,000, are considered a seal of approval for program providers, not only helping them launch or amplify programming, but also enabling them to attract funding from other sources.
To qualify for an RBC grant, after school programs must offer structured and supervised activities for children between the ages of six and 17. The programs must focus on what RBC calls the "three Ss" -- safety, social skills and self-esteem.
Since 1999, RBC has provided more than $27 million in grants to 248 community-based, after school programs in Canada, helping almost 29,000 children. Grant recipients are selected with the help of local advisory panels."In the thirteen years we've been funding after school programs, we've seen first-hand how kids enrolled in these programs are more confident and motivated to stay in school," says Shari Austin, vice-president, corporate citizenship at RBC. "We're confident that all our new and returning grant recipients will have a tremendous impact in helping kids realize their potential." Of the 105 organizations being announced today, 22 are first-time RBC grant recipients, including: ATLANTIC
- Boys and Girls Club of Spryfield, Fairview Site ($40,000): RBC will fund the crucial first year of start up for this Nova Scotia-based program.
- Whitney Pier Youth Club ($40,000): RBC will fund integrated programs for youth in this Nova Scotia community, including a homework club that encourages mentorship among club members.
- Atelier 850 ($40,000): RBC will fund programs for 70 youth aged 6 - 16 in Quebec City designed to motivate learning.
- Patro Laval Inc. ($37,000): RBC will fund the continuation of sports programs that keep kids off the streets.
- Community Action Resource Centre ($32,000): RBC will fund expanded availability and programming for Toronto children, including a new youth mentorship program.
- Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood Centre ($39,000): RBC will fund expanded programming for young children, as well as increased leadership and community engagement activities for older youth in Toronto.
- Warden Woods Church and Community Centre ($40,000): RBC will fund the creation of an after school program at a new site in this underserved community in Toronto.
- St. James Town Family Literacy Services ($30,000): RBC will fund the provision of direct support to children, ensuring this Toronto program has an appropriate ratio of students to supervisors, better volunteer recognition and increased staff training.
- Shkoday Abinojiiwak Obimiwedoon ($40,000). RBC will fund a range of programming for urban Aboriginal youth in Thunder Bay, giving them an opportunity to improve their cultural, mental, physical and emotional wellbeing.
- Rideau Community Health Services ($40,000): RBC's funding will help this organization create individualized education plans and enrichment opportunities for children in Smiths Falls.
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Durham Branch ($40,000): RBC will provide start-up funds for a program offering social assistance to local youth in Oshawa.
- Reach out Centre for Kids (ROCK) ($31,000): RBC will fund the purchase of critical supplies, helping remove access barriers for youth in Burlington.
- Crouch Neighbourhood Resource Centre ($40,000): RBC will fund expanded youth programming in London to bridge the gap between home and school.
- Town of Ingersoll, Fusion Youth Activity & Technology Centre ($37,500): RBC will fund the enhancement of existing programs and enable the Centre to offer several new programs and services for rural youth.
- Children's Heritage Fund, Gordon Bell High School ($40,000): RBC will fund a new program to meet the needs of the diverse student population in Winnipeg.
- Boys and Girls Clubs Saskatoon, White Buffalo Clubhouse ($35,000): RBC's funding will help this program deliver aboriginal cultural activities, including mentoring with elders, native drumming and dancing, along with traditional sports and homework instruction.
- Multicultural Family Resources Society ($40,000): RBC will fund this program in the Boyle/Macauley community in Edmonton that provides youth with skills and knowledge to improve success in school through the homework club.
- Boys and Girls of Diamond Valley ($40,000): RBC will fund this program where Nanton children can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills.
- Fort St. John Friendship Society ($25,000): RBC will fund the Keeginaw Kids After School Program, filling a gap in the community for affordable, safe, fun and multi-faceted programming for children.
- City of Abbotsford ($33,000): RBC will fund the Power Hours After School Program for youth that provides homework assistance, community learning, mentors, recreation and art opportunities.
- South Burnaby Neighbourhood House Society ($40,000): RBC will fund a program that focuses on social, physical, cognitive and emotional well-being.
- Board of Education of School District # 36 ( Surrey) - Senator Reid Elementary School ($40,000): RBC will fund the provision of support and resources to children and families in this inner city community.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV