The last time I profiled these banks was on Sept. 26 in Don't Bank on Bank Stocks, Just Trade Them and since then the BKX moved up to a potential double top at $52.04 on Oct. 5 vs. its 2012 high of $52.11 on Sept 14.
The sideways-to-down pattern since Oct. 5 has created negative technical divergences on both daily and weekly charts for several members of the BKX and for the BKX as an index. The BKX made significant gains of 52.3% since bottoming in October 2011, and is up 25.9% year to date.
Fundamentally www.ValuEngine.com shows the Finance sector 11.3% overvalued.The weekly chart for the BKX ended last week with declining momentum (12x3x3 weekly slow stochastic) reading of 78.28 down from 81.98 the prior week. This decline under 80 on a scale of 0 to 100 is a negative divergence. Last Friday's close at 49.25 was just below the five-week modified moving average at 49.50. This is a technical negative and a symptom of "QE Fatigue." Chart Courtesy of Thomson/Reuters The daily chart for the BKX (49.60) shows declining momentum with the BKX below its 21-day simple moving average at 50.33, is just above its 50-day SMA at 49.56 and is above its 200-day SMA at 46.76. My quarterly and annual value levels are 47.55 and 42.98 with monthly and weekly risky levels at 51.11 and 53.04.
The above table shows data from www.ValuEngine.com covering nine stocks in the BKX.
Reading the Table OV/UN Valued: The stocks with a red number are undervalued by this percentage. Those with a black number are overvalued by that percentage according to ValuEngine. VE Rating: A "1-Engine" rating is a Strong Sell, a "2-Engine" rating is a Sell, a "3-Engine" rating is a Hold, a "4-Engine" rating is a Buy and a "5-Engine" rating is a Strong Buy. Last 12-Month Return (%): Stocks with a Red number declined by that percentage over the last 12 months. Stocks with a black number increased by that percentage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV