NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR), the global leader in self-service technology, announced today that it would be making more self-checkout lanes available to Walmart customers. NCR will be installing 10,000 SelfServ Checkout lanes to more than 1,200 Walmart locations in the United States during 2013. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“Shoppers and retailers recognize the speed and value self-checkout provides and shoppers tell us they are eager to see it expanded into other retail segments,” said Scott Kingsfield, senior vice president and general manager, NCR Retail.
Today, Walmart customers across the country use NCR self-checkout lanes to purchase millions of items each week. Walmart’s expansion of self-service options continues its commitment to offer customers the choice in how they want to check out, improving the overall checkout and customer service experience.
“Our customers are shopping differently than they ever have, and we’re using innovative technologies like self-checkouts to meet their needs,” said Jeff McAllister, senior vice president of innovation, Walmart U.S. “Our multiple checkout options give us a unique advantage to provide our customers with the quick, easy and convenient checkout experience they tell us they want.”NCR is also providing expertise from its Human Factors Engineering group to make the self-checkout experience as easy and convenient as possible through user interface design, configurations, layouts and best practices. To ensure the self-checkout lanes are available for customers, NCR will also provide regular service programs and maintenance to Walmart and Sam’s Club locations across the country. In a recent independent market study*, 64 percent of self-checkout grocery shoppers and 44 percent of cashier-assisted shoppers said they believe retailers who offer self-checkout options provide better customer service.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV