Around midnight on Wednesday, Simons posted a note to friends on Facebook (FB ) asking for an array of supplies and volunteers who can speak Spanish. She said she would try to collect money for supplies and groceries from colleagues at Barclays to buy in Manhattan and bring back to Hoboken on Thursday evening.
"Maybe I can send an email out to the floor," Simons said.
A Thursday morning email sent by Simons to colleagues, friends and family outlines which donations Hoboken City Hall says are needed -- emergency blankets, flashlights, bottled water, diapers and formula supplies, to name a few -- and how Hoboken residents can volunteer on food, water and prescription delivery efforts, among many tasks.
[Non-Hoboken residents outside of emergency personnel aren't allowed in the city.]Simons expects Wednesday's efforts were just a first step in what will likely be a lengthy recovery effort, echoing comments made by President Obama, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and other officials charged with disaster response. "I think this is the beginning of a long road," Simons said of the work being done in Hoboken. She plans to remain a Wall Streeter by day and a volunteer by night to help Hoboken. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
|Supplies at Wallace No. 6 Elementary School in Hoboken|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV