BENTONVILLE, Ark., Nov. 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- It takes just five minutes to make a nomination, but the impact can last a lifetime. That's what John Gallina and Dale Beatty of Purple Heart Homes say of Walmart's "12 Days of Giving" Facebook program. The organization was one of 5,400 nonprofits nominated and one of 145 selected in last year's "12 Days of Giving" campaign. For Purple Heart Homes, the grant from Walmart supplied heat to the home of a disabled veteran's family and materials to help retrofit homes for other veterans in need. Another grant recipient, Cradles to Crayons, was able to reach a goal of providing 7,500 children with clothing, boots and other cold weather gear.
Today, Walmart kicks off the 2012 "12 Days of Giving" campaign by calling on Facebook users to once again nominate the nonprofits that are making an impact in their local communities and need support. Each of the "12 Days" will focus on a different giving theme, including hunger, military assistance and disaster relief. For example, the campaign empowers Americans to recognize nonprofits like those providing much needed aid to the victims of this week's devastating storm in the Northeast as well as those supporting the communities affected by other weather events and wildfires earlier this year. The winning nonprofits will receive a portion of a $1.5 million grant.
"Last year, someone took the time to go on Facebook and nominate our organization for Walmart's '12 Days of Giving' program and today, a disabled veteran has a better quality of life as a result," said John Gallina, co-founder of Purple Heart Homes. "Every individual who submits a compelling nomination has the opportunity to make a profound impact."
Starting today through Nov. 18, users can visit the Live Better tab on Walmart's Facebook page to nominate a nonprofit providing basic needs in their communities. Here's how it works:
- Visitors nominate local organizations by submitting a 200-word description, including the nonprofit's impact in its local community.
- Participants also can submit photos illustrating how the nonprofit helps families make ends meet; a gallery on the page will highlight submissions throughout the campaign.
- A panel from Walmart will review submissions and select the winners.
- Grant recipients will be announced daily on Facebook and Twitter from Dec. 10 to Dec. 21.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV