A majority of small and medium businesses (SMBs) in the UK and US are unsure of cloud services or think they are only for large companies, thus missing out on the opportunity to increase productivity and stay more effectively in control of their IT security, new research from AVG Technologies reveals.
AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security to 128 million active users, conducted research among more than 1,000 SMBs in the UK and US to gain insights into their understanding and attitudes towards cloud services and IT security.
The study found just a quarter of SMBs had adopted some form of cloud services, while a similar proportion (22% in the UK and 17% in the US) thought cloud services were only for large companies. One-in-three SMBs (31% in the UK and 28% in the US) said they did not understand cloud services at all.
“The research highlights the need to educate SMBs about the benefits that the right cloud services could bring to their businesses,” said Gene Marks, a small business owner, author and columnist. “It is clear that SMBs are juggling the same challenges as their larger counterparts but are making complex technology decisions without the benefit of an IT department or outside expertise to guide them.”More than three quarters of SMBs in both the US (77.3%) and UK (76.4%) say they are open to technology that makes their life easier, and are, in fact, dependent on large amounts of technology – over 95% of UK and US SMBs regularly use up to five pieces of technology in the course of their day-to-day work. Significantly, however, a substantial proportion of SMBs in the US (42%) and UK (52%) say they are dealing with IT issues, including security, themselves – and spending up to four hours a week in the process.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV