CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (TheStreet) --Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) is pairing up with Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) in separate collaborations that will study new all-oral combination therapies for hepatitis C, the companies said Thursday.
Both new collaborations involve Vertex's nucleotide "nuc" polymerase inhibitor VX-135, formerly known as ALS-2200.
VX-135 will be combined with J&J's protease inhibitor simeprevir with and without ribavirin for 12 weeks in treatment-naive, genotype 1 hepatitis C patients. The phase II study is expected to begin in early 2013.In a separate phase II study, VX-135 will be combined with Glaxo's NS5A inhibitor GSK2336805 with and without ribavirin for 12 weeks in the same type of hepatitis C patients. Vertex, J&J and Glaxo will pay the costs of the new trials equally by and the collaborations do not involve any up-front or milestone payments. "We think is a good move for Vertex and should help quell concerns from some investors that the company wanted to prioritize Incivek combo regimens," writes ISI Group analyst Mark Schoenebaum in an email to clients Thursday morning. Incivek is Vertex's currently approved hepatitis C drug but it must be taken three times a day in a combination regimen that includes the injected immune booster interferon. Adds Schoenebaum: "Recall, however, that there is very little data available for VRTX's nuc [VX-135] at this point -- thus development risk remains high. We include very little 'next generation' Hep C sales in our Vertex model and our thesis is mainly built around the 'combo' cystic fibrosis program." --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV