Medivir Announces Plans For A Phase II All-oral Study Of Simeprevir (TMC435) And VX-135 For The Treatment Of Hepatitis C To Be Conducted By Janssen And Vertex
STOCKHOLM, November 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Companies to evaluate a two-drug combination of Medivir/Janssen's investigational protease inhibitor simeprevir (TMC435) and Vertex's investigational nucleotide analogue VX-135
- Phase II proof-of-concept study to begin in early 2013 to evaluate safety, tolerability and viral cure rates of 12-week treatment regimen
Medivir AB (OMX: MVIR), announced today plans for a phase II proof-of-concept study of an all-oral regimen for the treatment of hepatitis C containing of Medivir/Janssen's protease inhibitor simeprevir and Vertex's nucleotide analogue hepatitis C virus (HCV) polymerase inhibitor VX-135. Janssen will conduct a drug-drug interaction study with simeprevir and VX-135 to support the planned initiation of a phase II proof-of-concept study in early 2013, pending discussions with regulatory authorities.
The phase II study is expected to evaluate safety, tolerability and viral cure rates using a 12-week combination of simeprevir and VX-135, with and without ribavirin. Janssen and Vertex will jointly fund development costs associated with the collaboration. There are no up-front or milestone payments associated with the agreement.
Simeprevir is a potent, once-daily investigational hepatitis C protease inhibitor, currently in phase III trials, being jointly developed by Medivir AB and Janssen R&D Ireland. VX-135 is an investigational uridine nucleotide analogue pro-drug designed to inhibit the replication of the hepatitis C virus by acting on the NS5B polymerase."This study will broaden our understanding of simeprevir, which we believe has the necessary characteristics to become a key component of future hepatitis C treatment regimens, including combination with interferon and ribavirin as well as interferon-free therapies and is in line with Medivir's and Janssen's strategy to evaluate different interferon-free HCV treatment possibilities" comments Charlotte Edenius, EVP of Research and Development, Medivir AB. Clinical development plans
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV