Heartland Payment Systems, Inc. (NYSE: HPY), one of the nation's largest payment processors, today announced GAAP net income of $19.4 million, or $0.48 per share, for the three months ended September 30, 2012. Adjusted Net Income and Adjusted Earnings per Share were $21.7 million and $0.53, respectively, for the quarter ended September 30, 2012, compared to Adjusted Net Income and Adjusted Earnings per Share of $13.5 million and $0.33, respectively, for the quarter ended September 30, 2011. Adjusted Net Income and Adjusted Earnings per Share are non-GAAP measures that are detailed later in this press release in the section “Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Highlights for the third quarter of 2012 include:
- Small and Mid-Sized Enterprise (SME) quarterly transaction processing volume of $18.8 billion, up 5.8% from the third quarter of 2011, and a quarterly record
- Quarterly Net Revenue of $143.4 million, up 17.3% from the third quarter of 2011, and a quarterly record
- Operating Margin on Net Revenue of 23.5% compared to 17.7% for the same quarter in 2011 and the best quarterly operating margin in five years
- Same store sales rose 1.8% and volume attrition was 12.9% in the third quarter
- New margin installed of $14.4 million, up 11.2% from the third quarter of 2011
- Share-based compensation reduced earnings by $3.5 million pre-tax, or approximately $0.05 per share, compared to $1.3 million pre-tax, or $0.02 per share in the third quarter of 2011
Robert Carr, Chairman and CEO, said, “We are pleased to report the most profitable quarter in the Company's history, with net revenue growing 17% and the operating margin expanding to 23.5% to drive a 56% increase in quarterly operating income. Returning over $275 million of Durbin Dollars to our merchants has significantly increased merchants' awareness of processing costs, which has enabled us to sustain double-digit new business growth and achieve record quarterly transaction processing volumes. The success of our productivity and efficiency initiatives has led to a significant improvement in our operating margin, which will exceed 20% this year, ahead of previous expectations. We continue to use our strong cash flow to reward our shareholders, and have repurchased $100 million of our stock over the past 12 months. As electronic payments continue to evolve, our strong merchant relationships, leading technology and solid financial position provide us with the resources to create innovative solutions for our merchants and to increase value for our shareholders.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV