For third-quarter 2012, U.S. revenues were $5.6 billion, a decrease of 18% compared with the year-ago quarter. This decrease was primarily the result of the loss of exclusivity of Lipitor on November 30, 2011. International revenues were $8.3 billion, a decrease of 14% compared with the prior-year quarter, mainly due to the losses of exclusivity of Lipitor in developed Europe during second-quarter 2012 and the unfavorable impact of foreign exchange. U.S. revenues represented 40% of total revenues in third-quarter 2012 compared with 41% in the year-ago quarter, while international revenues represented 60% of total revenues in third-quarter 2012 compared with 59% in the year-ago quarter.
Financial Performance (5)
|($ in millions)||
See end of text prior to tables for notes.
Primary Care unit revenues decreased 37% operationally in comparison with the same period last year, primarily due to the losses of exclusivity of Lipitor in the U.S. in November 2011, developed Europe during second-quarter 2012 and Japan in June 2011, as well as the resulting shift in the reporting of U.S. and Japan Lipitor revenues to the Established Products unit beginning January 1, 2012. These factors negatively impacted Primary Care unit revenues by approximately $2.0 billion, or 34%, operationally. Collectively, the decline in revenues for Lipitor and for certain other Primary Care unit products that lost exclusivity in various markets in 2012 and 2011, as well as the resulting shift in the reporting of certain product revenues to the Established Products unit, reduced Primary Care unit revenues by approximately $2.4 billion, or 40%, in comparison with third-quarter 2011. The impact of these declines was slightly offset by continued strong operational growth of Lyrica and Celebrex in developed markets and Viagra in the U.S.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV