AmerisourceBergen Corporation (NYSE:ABC) today reported that in its fiscal year 2012 fourth quarter ended September 30, 2012, diluted earnings per share from continuing operations increased 23 percent to $0.65, and revenue decreased 4.4 percent to $19.5 billion. The Company expects diluted earnings per share from continuing operations for fiscal year 2013 to be in the range of $3.06 to $3.16, an 11 percent to 14 percent increase over fiscal year 2012 diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $2.76. All results are presented in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
AmerisourceBergen also announced that it is pursuing the sale of AndersonBrecon, its contract pharmaceutical packaging business, so that it can focus on its distribution, specialty, and manufacturer services businesses. The Company has solicited buyers and is currently reviewing initial bids for the business. Income from AndersonBrecon has been classified as income from discontinued operations, and represented $0.04 of the total $2.80 of diluted earnings per share in fiscal year 2012.
Also today, the Board of Directors increased the dividend paid on common stock by 62% and declared a regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.21, payable on December 3, 2012 to shareholders of record on November 19, 2012. In addition, the Board also approved a new $750 million share repurchase authorization. Following the completion of a $650 million accelerated share repurchase program during the September quarter, the Company still has $97 million remaining on its prior May 2012 authorization, bringing the total amount authorized for repurchases to $847 million.
Fiscal Fourth Quarter Highlights
- Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $0.65, a 23 percent increase.
- Gross profit of $719.5 million, up 18.6 percent.
- Operating income of $296.3 million, up 24.8 percent.
- Operating margin of 1.52 percent, up 35 basis points.
- Cash flow from operations of $545 million.
- Share repurchases of $648 million.
- Diluted earnings per share from continuing operations of $2.76, a 10 percent increase.
- Gross profit of $2.7 billion, up 6.7 percent.
- Operating income of $1.3 billion, up 5.6 percent.
- Operating margin of 1.58 percent, up 10 basis points.
- Cash flow from operations of $1.3 billion.
- Share repurchases of $1.2 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV