Kraft Food For Families: Capacity Needs Just As Critical As Food To Help Feed Canadian Families, New Study Shows
Kraft expands national program to support 100 local food banks with goal of $125,000
TORONTO, Nov. 1, 2012 /CNW/ - Food banks need more than just food to feed families. In fact, a new survey of 73 Canadian food banks shows that almost 90 per cent agree that adding such basic resources as freezers and more storage space could increase access to food and improve services within their communities. Kraft Food for Families, in partnership with Food Banks Canada , is calling on Canadians to help combat these capacity issues by simply adding their name online at www.kraftfoodforfamilies.ca.
This year, Kraft Food for Families is expanding its outreach to support 100 food banks across Canada with an increased donation goal of $125,000.
How it Works Between today (at 12:00 PM EST) and December 31 st, Canadians can add their name once a day, every day. For each name received, 50 cents will be donated to one of 100 food banks in five different regions across Canada. A total of $20,000 is available in each region and once the $20,000 is reached, the food bank with the most names in each region will receive a bonus donation of $5,000.Regions include: Pacific (BC, NT, YK, NU), Western (MB, SK, AB), Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic (NB, NF, PE, NS). "As a food company, it's our responsibility to be part of the solution to hunger in Canada," said Jack Hewitt, Vice President of Marketing Insight & Services, Kraft Canada. "We've more than doubled our donation goal and the number of food banks that Kraft Food for Families will reach this year so that more Canadians can make a difference in their own community." A recent survey of Food Banks Canada member food banks revealed that over half participating in Kraft Food for Families this year admit that apart from food, their most urgent concern is not enough space, equipment or supplies. "Across Canada, many food banks face capacity issues - such as freezers, shelving for storage rooms, and even delivery trucks. These are the basic resources that food banks need in order to meet the growing demands of their communities," said Katharine Schmidt, Executive Director, Food Banks Canada. "Last year, nearly 900,000 Canadians looked to food banks each month for support and that is why this program is so important." Last year, the Kraft Food for Families program helped food banks across Canada buy what they really needed to assist those in need, such as a new walk-in cooler and shelving for storage. Survey Highlights Of the food banks surveyed:
- 100 per cent are facing capacity issues such as a lack of storage or serving space, food preparation facilities, cleaning equipment/supplies, vehicles/transportation, freezers and/or coolers, or other needs
- 99 per cent feel that while most people are aware that food banks are in need of food donations, they may not be aware that they need help with capacity needs (i.e. equipment, supplies, storage space, etc.) too.
- 85 per cent indicate that the capacity needs of their food bank impact their ability to serve everyone who needs help in their community
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV