Financial Results (dollars in millions, customers and policies in thousands):
|Three Months Ended||Ended|
|September 30,||June 30,||September 30,|
|Premiums and Fees||$||930||$||765||$||898||$||2,694|
|Adjusted Income from Operations 1||$||79||$||62||$||65||$||224|
|Adjusted Margin, After-Tax 7||8.2%||7.8%||7.0%||8.0%|
|As of the Periods Ended|
|Medical Customers – Global Health Benefits & Health Care||1,240||1,196||1,224||1,197|
|Health, Life and Accident Policies (excluding China JV) 8||9,438||6,450||9,354||9,106|
- Third quarter premium and fees grew 22% relative to third quarter 2011, driven by attractive customer retention and business growth from sales in targeted markets within our individual Health, Life and Accident and Global Health Benefits businesses as well as revenues from recent acquisitions.
- Third quarter 2012 adjusted income from operations 1 reflects the impact of strong customer retention and business growth from both of our International businesses, improvements in operating expense efficiency, as well as favorable loss ratios. Third quarter 2012 segment margins 7 have increased sequentially primarily due to favorable loss ratios in Korea and Global Health Benefits.
- As previously disclosed, effective January 1, 2012, Cigna retrospectively adopted amended accounting rules for costs related to the acquisition or renewal of insurance contracts (“deferred policy acquisition costs”). Prior period amounts have been presented on a comparable basis.
Disability and Life
This segment includes Cigna’s group disability, life, and accident insurance operations that are managed separately from the Health Care business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV