Financial Results (dollars in millions, customers in thousands):
|Three Months Ended||Ended|
|September 30,||June 30,||September 30,|
|Premiums and Fees||$||4,922||$||3,255||$||5,008||$||14,431|
|Adjusted Income from Operations 1||$||384||$||248||$||332||$||978|
|Adjusted Margin, After-Tax 7||7.0%||6.6%||6.0%||6.1%|
|As of the Periods Ended|
|September 30,||June 30,||December 31,|
|Medicare and Medicaid||441||44||437||44|
|Behavioral Care 8||21,544||17,725||21,208||18,344|
|Medicare Part D||1,265||538||1,264||538|
- Overall, Health Care results reflect contributions from the HealthSpring acquisition effective February 1, 2012 and sustained growth in our targeted customer segments.
- Third quarter premiums and fees increased 51% relative to third quarter 2011, due to the contributions from the HealthSpring acquisition, organic business growth, rate increases, and increased specialty penetration, partially offset by business mix, which reflects a continued shift by clients to our Administrative Services Only (“ASO”) solutions.
- Third quarter 2012 adjusted income from operations 1 reflects continued growth in targeted medical and specialty businesses, favorable pharmacy results primarily for our Medicare Part D business, and favorable medical costs, including prior year claim development of approximately $6 million after-tax. The third quarter 2012 results also reflect further operating expense leverage, while continuing to make strategic investments in service capabilities and programs to increase efficiency.
- Third quarter 2012 segment margins 7 are higher than third quarter 2011 and second quarter 2012 primarily as a result of favorable pharmacy results.
- Adjusted income from operations 1 for third quarter 2011 and second quarter 2012 included favorable prior year claim development of approximately $5 million after-tax and $17 million after-tax, respectively.
- Health Care medical claims payable 9 was approximately $1.4 billion at September 30, 2012 and $900 million at December 31, 2011. The increase in the September 30, 2012 balance is primarily attributable to the HealthSpring acquisition.
This segment includes Cigna’s supplemental health, life, and accident insurance and global health expatriate benefits businesses operating in international markets as well as the U.S.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV