Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) today reported third quarter 2012 consolidated revenues of $7.4 billion, an increase of 31% over the third quarter of 2011. Revenues reflect growth in premiums and fees of 51% in Health Care, 22% in International and 9% in Disability and Life, primarily driven by contributions from the HealthSpring acquisition and continued organic growth in our targeted customer segments.
Cigna’s adjusted income from operations 1,2 for the third quarter of 2012 was $496 million, or $1.71 per share, excluding the after-tax loss of $7 million, or $0.02 per share, from results of the VADBe 2 business. This result compares with $353 million, or $1.29 per share, excluding the after-tax loss of $45 million, or $0.16 per share, from results of the VADBe 2 business, for the third quarter of 2011.
Cigna reported shareholders’ net income 1 of $466 million, or $1.61 per share, for the third quarter of 2012, compared with shareholders’ net income 1 of $183 million, or $0.67 per share, for the third quarter of 2011. Shareholders’ net income 1 included income of $0.11 per share in the third quarter of 2012 and a loss of $0.50 per share for the same period last year related to the Guaranteed Minimum Income Benefits (GMIB) 2,5 business. Shareholders’ net income 1 also included special items 4 which generated a loss of $62 million, or $0.21 per share, in the third quarter of 2012.
“Our differentiated approach to understanding and helping our global clients and customers as well as partnering with physicians continues to deliver real value. Our third quarter 2012 results were strong, driven by consistent and disciplined execution of our strategy," said David M. Cordani, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We continue to make strategic investments to position Cigna to deliver long-term value for the benefit of our customers and shareholders."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV