On Wednesday, TheStreet's Eric Jackson questioned why Forstall sold a ton of Apple stock earlier this year and, seemingly, left potentially hundreds of millions more in restricted stock options on the table.
Jackson, a big AAPL bull, wondered why Forstall sold and, presumably, didn't try to make things work at Apple: Maybe the stock sales did signal Forstall was really upset with how things were going under Tim Cook's leadership in the post-Jobs era.
Look, I don't necessarily agree that this is what went down (and I'm not sure Jackson does either), but it's a question worth asking. If Forstall -- a Steve Jobs 'A' player through and through -- wasn't happy with Cook's direction, is there really something amiss?
It's a bizarro world these days. Heck, TheStreet's Doug Kass made money long AAPL Tuesday. (That's the sign of great trader not allowing long-term conviction to cloud near-term judgment).As an investor, you can't discount or, worse, discard information that doesn't fit with what you want to hear. There's relative chaos at Apple. While Tim Cook's recent housecleaning might have straightened things out, there's an equally-as-strong possibility it didn't. What Forstall says and does next, if anything, might help shed light on the situation. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this article. Follow @RoccoPendola
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV