NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Don't worry. I'm not pulling a Business Insider hack job with a wildly provocative title only to leave you with a two-sentence cut-and-paste of somebody else's work and a promise to "update" it "soon."
To ask What the Hell Is Happening at Apple? puts it mildly.
You can call that riding both sides of the fence; I call it understanding and respecting the complexity of the situation.Everybody loves an easy answer. That's probably why so many people ate up The Wall Street Journal report that Cook fired Scott Forstall because he refused to sign Cook's embarrassing Google (GOOG) Maps apology letter. That's crap. If anything, that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but it's a simple and probably wholly inaccurate way to frame a complicated, yet simultaneously straightforward situation. Lots of people didn't like Forstall. At some level, Cook probably felt threatened by him. MappleGate gave Cook more than he needed to make the move. What happened, however, raises as many questions as it does accolades for Cook. Ultimately, much of what led to Forstall's demise falls on Cook in one way or another. In some fashion, he was asleep at the wheel, plus he has to protect his own job. That's a concern, along with, in no particular order:
The dividend/buyback decision.
Weaker than weak Genius ads pulled shortly after airing.
The errant decision by John Browett (also fired) to reshuffle retail staff hours and almost immediate reversal and apology.
Though I disagree with it because of the premium price point, criticism over doing an iPad mini warrants attention.
What amounts to an iTV stalemate. It looks as if Cook has no idea how to move with forward with Apple TV.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV