New Jersey American Water continues to provide water service to its more than 640,000 customers in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Power companies have restored power to a number of the company’s facilities, which had been on back-up generators, and water pressures are near normal levels.
In the immediate hours after the storm, the company lost power to booster stations that impacted elevated areas of Fanwood, Mountainside, Scotch Plains, Westfield and West Orange; however normal water service has been restored. New Jersey American Water’s Swimming River Water Treatment Plant in Monmouth County had intermittent power outages early Wednesday, and some customers in Monmouth County temporarily experienced low water pressure or no water pressure. Water service has returned for those customers also.
“We are continuing to make progress in bringing our water distribution system back up to full electrical power, and the electric utilities have been outstanding in their response,” said Stephen P. Schmitt, New Jersey American Water vice president of operations. “We do not anticipate water service disruptions related to the storm, and we ask our customers to continue to conserve water while many of our operations remain on emergency generators. We thank all of our customers for their cooperation.”
New Jersey American Water recommends the following water conservation tips:
- Please refrain from nonessential uses of water
- Avoid using outdoor hoses for storm clean up. Use a broom instead
- For customers who have electrical service: Run dishwashers and laundry washing machines only when they are full. If you have a water-saver cycle, use it
- Regularly check your toilet, faucets, and pipes for leaks
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts