Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Re-opening the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq may have restarted our financial economy today, but the real economy is about to spring to life as well.
Jim Cramer told "Mad Money" viewers Wednesday the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy may have been just what our ailing economy needed.Make no mistake, losing one's home, business or worse is a horrible tragedy, said Cramer, but when it comes to the economy, nothing has the potential to get things moving like a widespread disaster. Cramer said investors need to step back and look at the big picture: Tens of thousands of insurance policyholders are about to begin rebuilding, an event that will require tens of thousands of contractors buying billions of dollars in materials. Cramer said with the damage from Sandy estimated between $30 billion and $50 billion, it's no wonder stocks like USG (USG), Whirlpool (WHR) and Sherwin-Williams (SHW) were on the move higher today. In many places in the Northeast there simply won't be enough shovels available to get the work done. But even bigger than the private sector is the federal government, said Cramer, as roads and other infrastructure needs to be rebuilt. Nothing puts an end to partisan politics and brings politicians together like people in need, as president Obama's visit to New Jersey proved today. Only the government is big enough to get these massive projects underway, Cramer said, and that's precisely what will be happening next.
Good EatonIn the "Executive Decision" segment, Cramer spoke with Sandy Cutler, chairman and CEO of Eaton (ETN), a stock Cramer owns for his charitable trust,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV