The following additional adjustments are made to GAAP revenues, in the line items indicated, in calculating operating revenues:
- Universal life and investment-type product policy fees excludes the amortization of unearned revenue related to NIGL and NDGL and certain variable annuity guaranteed minimum income benefits (“GMIB”) fees (“GMIB fees”);
- Net investment income: (i) includes amounts for scheduled periodic settlement payments and amortization of premium on derivatives that are hedges of investments but do not qualify for hedge accounting treatment, (ii) includes income from discontinued real estate operations, (iii) excludes post-tax operating earnings adjustments relating to insurance joint ventures accounted for under the equity method, (iv) excludes certain amounts related to contractholder-directed unit-linked investments, and (v) excludes certain amounts related to securitization entities that are variable interest entities (“VIEs”) consolidated under GAAP; and
- Other revenues are adjusted for settlements of foreign currency earnings hedges.
The following additional adjustments are made to GAAP expenses, in the line items indicated, in calculating operating expenses:
- Policyholder benefits and claims and policyholder dividends excludes: (i) changes in the policyholder dividend obligation related to NIGL and NDGL, (ii) inflation-indexed benefit adjustments associated with contracts backed by inflation-indexed investments and amounts associated with periodic crediting rate adjustments based on the total return of a contractually referenced pool of assets, (iii) benefits and hedging costs related to GMIBs (“GMIB costs”), and (iv) market value adjustments associated with surrenders or terminations of contracts (“Market value adjustments”);
- Interest credited to policyholder account balances includes adjustments for scheduled periodic settlement payments and amortization of premium on derivatives that are hedges of policyholder account balances but do not qualify for hedge accounting treatment and excludes amounts related to net investment income earned on contractholder-directed unit-linked investments;
- Amortization of DAC and value of business acquired (“VOBA”) excludes amounts related to: (i) NIGL and NDGL, (ii) GMIB fees and GMIB costs and (iii) Market value adjustments;
- Amortization of negative VOBA excludes amounts related to Market value adjustments;
- Interest expense on debt excludes certain amounts related to securitization entities that are VIEs consolidated under GAAP; and
- Other expenses excludes costs related to: (i) noncontrolling interests, (ii) implementation of new insurance regulatory requirements, and (iii) acquisition and integration costs.
MetLife believes the presentation of operating earnings and operating earnings available to common shareholders as MetLife measures it for management purposes enhances the understanding of the company’s performance by highlighting the results of operations and the underlying profitability drivers of the business. Operating revenues, operating expenses, operating earnings, operating earnings available to common shareholders, operating earnings available to common shareholders per diluted common share, book value per common share, excluding accumulated other comprehensive income (“AOCI”) and book value per diluted common share, excluding AOCI, should not be viewed as substitutes for the following financial measures calculated in accordance with GAAP: GAAP revenues, GAAP expenses, GAAP income (loss) from continuing operations, net of income tax, GAAP net income (loss) available to MetLife, Inc.’s common shareholders, GAAP net income (loss) available to MetLife, Inc.’s common shareholders per diluted common share, book value per common share and book value per diluted common share, respectively. Reconciliations of these measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures are included in the Third Quarter 2012 Financial Supplement and/or in the tables that accompany this earnings press release.