- Gross premiums written increased 2% to $848 million;
- Net premiums written decreased 3% to $651 million;
- Net premiums earned increased 3% to $862 million;
- Combined ratio of 85.3%, compared to 91.5% for the same period last year;
- Notable catastrophe and weather-related losses in the quarter included:
- Estimated pre-tax net losses (net of reinstatement premiums) of $40 million resulting from the impact of severe drought conditions on U.S. crops and $20 million for Hurricane Isaac; and
- An aggregate $27 million reduction in our estimate of pre-tax net losses (net of reinstatement premiums) for first and second quarter 2012 U.S. weather events.
- No material change in our aggregate estimate for losses related to 2011 and 2010 calendar year natural catastrophe events during 2012;
- Net favorable prior year reserve development of $60 million, pre-tax, benefiting the combined ratio by 7.0 points, compared with $78 million in the prior year quarter, benefiting the combined ratio by 9.4 points;
- Net investment income of $104 million, with our alternative investments driving a $54 million increase;
- Total return on cash and investments of 2.1% (pre-tax), compared to (0.4%) for the same period last year;
- Net cash flows from operations of $424 million;
- Operating income of $201 million, representing an annualized operating return on average common equity of 15.2%;
- Share repurchases in the quarter totaling $179 million; and
- Diluted book value per common share of $43.57 at September 30, 2012, an increase of 7% during the quarter, 14% from December 31, 2011 and 18% over the last 12 months.
AXIS Capital Reports Third Quarter Operating Income Of $201 Million
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.