Ford announced its Europe restructuring plan last Thursday. Ford will close three production facilities, expected to result in annual gross savings of $450 million to $500 million, while introducing 15 new global vehicles.
"In the U.S. over the last few years we have taken very dramatic action to size our production to the real demand (and) to cover more of them market segments," said CEO Alan Mulally, on the Ford earnings call. "We know this is exactly the right thing to do.
"That's really what we announced last week with our plan to accelerate the transformation of our business in Europe," Mulally said. "No business is sustainable if it continues to lose money."
In a report Wednesday, Jefferies analyst Peter Nesvold held out hope for the entire automotive industry, writing that "Europe's automotive industry has a dreadful market structure. After years of kicking the can down the road, the industry's time of reckoning surely seems to be near."Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV