And let's not even begin to discuss 2013, when analysts are forecasting $240 million in Qsymia sales. Again, using current prices, that implies an average of 584,000 patients on drug. Next year, Vivus will face competition from Arena Pharmaceuticals' (ARNA) weight-loss drug Belviq. A third obesity drug from Orexigen Therapeutics (OREX) is still in clinical trials.
Vivus reports third-quarter results on Nov. 6, which will include negligible Qsymia sales since the drug was launched at the end of the quarter. The stock has lost 38% of its value since Qsymia's lauch, reflecting investor uncertainty. Still, don't be surprised to see analysts use Vivus' third-quarter report as a trigger to sharply reduce Qsymia sales forecasts for the rest of this year and next.
At least that's what the analysts should do, if they were looking at the Qsymia prescription data objectively.
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV