Admittedly, it's too early to call the Qsymia launch a total bust and Vivus has cautioned investors to expect a slow rollout. But based on prescription data collected so far, Vivus is highly unlikely to meet the $25 million in Qsymia sales that analysts have forecast for the fourth quarter -- the first significant barometer of the weight-loss drug's launch.
Vivus shares are down 12% to $15.38 in Wednesday trading.
The Qsymia launch math doesn't look pretty:Doctors have written 5,802 new prescriptions for Qsymia in the five weeks since the drug launched (Sept. 21 through Oct. 19), according to healthcare research firm IMS Health. Vivus has recommended that doctors write two Qsymia prescriptions for each new patient -- one at the low, titration dose and the second at the middle, recommended dose. Not all doctors are following this advice but roughly speaking, dividing total new Qsymia prescriptions in half gives you an estimate for the actual number of patients. Through Oct. 19 -- or roughly one-third of the way through the fourth quarter -- there are approximately 2,901 patients on Qsymia, according to IMS data. That's bad because the fourth-quarter Qsymia consensus sales estimate of $24.5 million (from Bloomberg with 12 analysts contributing forecasts) implies an average of 59,600 patients on the drug.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV